Monday, July 29, 2013

Asking for light

One of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon is the story about the brother of Jared.

In Ether 2:24-25, the Lord tells the brother of Jared that they are going to be "as a whale in the midst of the sea" on their journey to the promised land, because the waves are going to swallow them up at times. The cool thing is that it is the for the purpose of getting them to the promised land.

In verse 25, Heavenly Father asks the brother of Jared what he wants him to do to give him light when he is swallowed up in the sea. Then, in Ether 3:4 the brother of Jared tells the Lord that he would like him to touch some stones so that they will give them light in the ship.

I love how bold and faithful he is with this request. He first states that he knows the Lord can do all things, and then makes is request.

I have done this in my life. When I feel like I am swallowed up in the sea, even though I am on my way to the promised land, I ask the Lord for light. I pray for the Lord to send me an angel to light my way. Usually those angels are my friends and families, sometimes they are strangers, and sometimes they are unseen.

I always receive light when I ask for it in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment