Monday, May 13, 2013

The Power of Prayer

In the Museum of Art on BYU campus, there is a painting by Jehudo Epstein called Dying Job.

\

In this painting, Job is on the ground in torment and feeling the loss of everything he had including the feeling of divine comfort and support. His friends are around him praying as well; they are exhibiting great faith during adversity so extreme that the only thing they can do is pray. As I sat and looked at this painting, I thought about the times that I have felt like Job--the times when I feel so helpless and hopeless that all I can do is cry to the Lord.

Then I noticed the man in the back. He is praying and looking up to heaven with a longing and pleading expression. I realized that most of the time, I identify with him. I see people around me suffering, and I wish I could take away the pain. It's hard to see those you love and care about deeply go through periods of loneliness, sickness, trial, sadness, doubt, or confusion. In those times all we can do is be like that man, look to God and plead for those we love. When we feel powerless, there is hope; we can pray. God doesn't forget us or those we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment