Sunday, November 18, 2012

"Tangled" in Good Fortune

Satan knows exactly what to say to us to make us believe the lies that he tells us. He wants us to believe that we are not worth anything. He tells us that we will never amount to anything, and that everything we do is a failure. I know he was telling me this yesterday.

Last night, I had feelings of failure torment me. I knew that I had done good things for people all week, and that I would be blessed for it. I knew that even though I hadn't done everything perfect in the last four weeks since I have been teaching a first grade class, I had made a difference. And yet, I felt overwhelmed with the amount of homework I had and the things that I hadn't done and should have.

In other words, Satan would have me focus on my imperfections rather than the good things I have done. I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to watch this movie Tangled. I started comparing Gothel to Satan. She tells Rapunzel that she knows best in the song Mother Knows Best. She deceives her, much like Satan does, into thinking, that she should fear the world. She tells her that she will never be able to leave the tower (which I compare to any kind of sin or imperfection we are trying to overcome) that is keeping her captive. She insults her telling her she is "sloppy, under-dressed, immature, clumsy," but makes it sound like it is for her own good. She tells her that she will never make it in the world, so she might as well settle with being captive.


Okay, those were the lies. Here is the truth.

Elder Jeffery R. Holland-"Broken things to mend"
"When He says to the poor in spirit, “Come unto me,” He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up. He knows it because He has walked it. He knows the way because He is the way.
Brothers and sisters, whatever your distress, please don’t give up and please don’t yield to fear. "

President Dieter F Uchtdorf-"Happiness Your Heritage"
-"Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside." 

Rapunzel fights against these lies throughout the whole movie. In the process of finding out who she really is(a princess), she creates wonderful things in the process. She blesses the lives of thugs and helps them realize their dreams, she heals others, and she brings light to others in darkness.

If I let Satan discourage me with thoughts of fear and failure I will forget that I am "Tangled" in good fortune all around me. I have so much going for me. I know that I have touched the lives of several children this last month. However, in His wisdom, the Lord decided to remind me of this. This reminder came in an actual fortune cookie. It was by no coincidence that I opened my fortune cookie last night and found this message inside:



Remember, that like Rapunzel, we can find out who we are, if we will overcome fear of failure instilled in us by Satan. We have to take that step, out of the tower and into the unknown, and believe that we will have good "fortune" all around us. And, remember to lift others along that path.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Amy! And it is exactly what I needed to hear today. :) You're wonderful. I love you, girl!

    PS I tried commenting on this once before, but I don't think it worked... so if you get two comments from me, that's why!

    What's in a Name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I just started reading your blog, and seriously- you inspire me! Thanks for this great post. You are so right! Satan tries so hard to discourage those who can influence others for the better, because when we have the spirit with us, our potential for good is limitless. I hope everything is going well with your class as your wrap up the semester. I can only imagine that you are amazing!!
    -Marla

    ReplyDelete