Monday, October 15, 2012

Thank goodness I am not in control.

Last night, Ashley(my roommate) and I were talking. We both agree that it is such a wonderful thing that we are not in control of the things that happen in our lives. Sure, sometimes we think we are, but really we are not. The best part is that the Lord, who is omnipotent, knows what is going to happen. Sometimes, I like to imagine what the Lord thinks of me when I am freaking out over little things. Ash reminded me that He knows what is coming, so I can imagine Him smiling and saying, "Amy, if you only knew what was in store for you." 

I came across this scripture this morning in my scripture study:
Psalms 97:1
The Lord reigneth; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of the isles be glad therof

Isn't it wonderful that the Lord indeed reigns over everything? Isn't it great that when we don't have a handle on our lives, or don't feel like we know what is going to happen, the Lord does. Our Heavenly Father has a handle on things. All we need to do is have faith and trust that he has it all under control. 

He will never give us anything that is too hard for us to handle with His help, because, with His help, we can do anything. We can overcome any sin, heartache or trial "fought in the lonely foxholes of the human heart" as Elder Jeffery R Holland says. All it takes is grabbing the Savior's hand.

I also am learning about the importance of singing hymns. I have started memorizing them in the shower. Hopefully nobody can hear me. 
This is my next one I am going to memorize. The lyrics really apply here, I know that "Thy God doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past."


Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;

With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake

To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on

When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

-LDS Hymnbook


This is BYU's Vocal Point singing "Be Still My Soul"


1 comment:

  1. This is lovely Amy. I've never heard that scripture before, but I really like it. :) And I love hymns, and I love this hymn. You are fantastic. Thanks. :)
    Love,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete